I attempted pancakes for the second time today. Without accurate measuring devices and reliable ingredients, they're not like the ones from home... I don't think that their "baking powder" is the same as what we use. I made my pancakes much more carefully this time than the first attempt, and they turned out a lot better, but they're still a little gluey on the inside.Oh America, I miss your fluffy goodness.
FYI, I'm going to be eating like there's no tomorrow when I get back to the States in nine months. Like there's no tomorrow.
3 comments:
Jaime,
Basically you can leave the "baking powder" out of the pancake recipe and it really makes no difference (that I can tell). Just make sure you use baking soda and eggs. If you really want "fluffy" pancakes, you can whip the egg whites and fold them in at the end -- doing everything else the "normal" way. I have also found that if I base "1 cup" on a tea cup it tends to work out pretty well -- and then a teaspoon is a small spoonful, while a tablespoon is a big spoonful. Anyway, let me know if this helps or you want more specifics -- it was an adventure the first couple times I tried to make pancakes/banana bread, but I think I've got it down now. My craving today was Hot Tamales -- good luck getting those in Russia! No one likes spicy ANYTHING here.
Honey, are you sure you aren't using baking SODA? it needs acid to work -- yogurt or clabbered mile (mix some lemon juice or vinegar into the milk and let it sit about 5 or 10 minutes until it clumps). Baking POWDER works in a more alkaline environment -- milk that's drinkable, for example.
The best pancake recipe EVER has been discovered:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Good-Old-Fashioned-Pancakes/Detail.aspx
Post a Comment