Monday, July 20, 2009

Random Stuff

Digital-Schmigital
My recent trip to Ayvalık was carefully documented in digital. Due to a computer glitch, they deleted themselves after I formatted my memory card. So Ayvalık is lost. Take my advice: Just go there.

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?!
Young learners are not so bad. Their grammar is actually amazing, considering that they're 16 years old. They can--and will--happily plow through a grammar worksheet. But when I hand them a speaking activity they freeze up like molasses in January. One girl, bless her, actually cowers when I walk towards her to listen. She keeps her head down, but I can tell when she's noticed my feet approach her--she sort of sways back, trying to get away but! Damn! The wall is there, trapping her. And I'm looking at her with a smile: "Speak a sentence!" I say. And she tries, but her eyelids flutter, she sputters and dies in a whispered failure.

With my incessant smiling and my ludicrous classroom antics (today's included demonstrating "plead" by getting down on my knees--in a skirt--and wrenching on Gizem's hand, all the while crying "Please, please, please?!?!?!" with a look of tragedy on my face), I would think to be non-threatening.

Melt-worthy hot.
Dinner is a slice of bread with cheese spread on it and a cucumber, followed by three times as much sorbet. If it didn't just exit a fridge, I don't want to eat it.

And yet... Turks sit outside--wearing jeans, trousers, long-sleeved shirts, the occasional woman in the çarşaf and the quite usual woman in a headscarf (the mere sight of any of these makes me wriggle; imagine the trickles of sweat that must be pooling and creeping down the backs of their legs, or the disgusting damp pinch of an armpit-soaked t-shirt)--and they drink tea. Hot, steaming tea. In temperatures inching towards 100°. It's unbelievable to me.

People do wear shorts and skirts and tank tops, but it's totally normal to be covered to a degree that would make any American cringe.

1 comment:

Will said...

It was the same way in Nicaragua. They're all so used to the heat, they wear long pants when it's 80 degrees out and the sun is beating down. Our guide said when it's the wet season, and it's cooler--around 70 degrees--they're all shivering and cold. How funny!