Monday, August 17, 2009

Stick With What You Know

Yesterday I had the opportunity to overhear a Turkish wedding. The song being blasted over the loudspeaker for the ceremony was the American group, Evanescence's "Because of You." If you're not familiar with it, it's a slow, Celine Dion-worthy ballad that sounds like a love song until you realize the lyrics are actually a scathing accusation of being emotionally-destroyed by her father. It's the kind of song you hear on the radio and immediately change to a different station. It was so absurd to hear it played on someone's celebration of the most important day of their life.

So before you run off and get that tattoo of Chinese characters you can't understand, or before you choose a foreign wedding song that will be video-taped into family history forever, have someone who speaks the language make sure it's appropriate...

2 comments:

Will said...

Jaime Miller: local American music consultant.

j. said...

That would be a nice addition to the business card I don't have yet... I'll keep it in mind for later! ;-)