Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Yabancı Soap

I was in this shop--cramped and stuffed with everything: dishes, silverware, electrical cords and extensions, dust brushes, plastic bags, dish drying wracks, sponges, soap. I was picking through. I wanted rubber gloves but didn't know the word for it. I kept my mouth shut--I didn't want them to overcharge me for the gloves if they realized I was a foreigner. They offered me some Coca Cola, which I politely and briefly declined. After a couple more minutes the guy said to me--in English: "Where are you from?"

I wanted to die laughing at myself. There I was, trying to be discreet about not knowing the words for rubber gloves, and yet I still oozed some Invisible Yabancı Vibe that he could sense. How?! How?!

In the end I found my rubber gloves, to which I added a Danon water bottle filled with bulk liquid dish detergent--I paid two lira total, not a bad price. For a yabancı.

1 comment:

Will said...

Maybe it's because you look foreign? Aren't most people there non-white?