I have been in Turkey 12 days. I have spent the last 9 of those at work. I will be paid for 4 hours of teaching. I can only laugh. People at work are like, "Are you here again?" Yes. Ah, the life of a new teacher. Broke, hauling ass to perform well and be professional.
I had my second class tonight. I think that my first class was better--I was more energetic and I had more students. Maybe I drove two of them away last night?! I wasn't nervous tonight, which was nice. My students are older--all with wedding bands on their fingers even though some are possibly just late 20-somethings. Mostly men. There's a banker, a logistics coordinator, a college graduate, a mechanical engineer. Can't remember what else. They are often learning English because they are eligible for promotions at work if they can get above a certain score on the TOEFL ibt test. So some of them are eligible and attend consistently. Others--well, we'll see about them.
I've been walking an hour and a half a day--to and from work. My feet are finally healing from the blisters of breaking in three new pairs of shoes. *sigh* But with the exercise at least I can justify all of the Turkish buttery croissant-type-things I've been eating... Yum... Little Debbie and Orowheat have nothing on the legit bakeries over here. The demise of the small, specialized business is a total loss to American life.
It's Tuesday night--tomorrow is my weekend. I'm so glad to have Wednesday and Thursday free. I will sleep in and wait for the repair man to come and fix our pathetic oven. And then I will go take photos (it's finally time to put together my Fashion and Transport photo essays) and find something delicious to cook for dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know this would be silly, but would roller skating cut down your walk time? It looked like there was a lot of concrete by your house, near the sea. Are you thinking of getting a bicycle?
LOVE IT!!! Yes. Mom, send my roller blades. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb!
People do bike--or I should say, rather, men do bike. And I've briefly entertained the idea, but then I'd have to find the bike store, talk to people in Turkish, buy one, worry about handling it in the elevator, worry about being looked at while riding it as a female (in a skirt?), worry about it getting stolen, blah blah blah. I actually kind of like the walk--in a masochistic way.
Post a Comment