Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lead Me To The Ex-Pats

On my way to work yesterday, I went to the Turkish-American Association. It was a little awkward explaining it to the Turkish doorman, receptionists and then activity coordinating director. I felt like I was admitting that I have a communicable disease--like herpes:

"Hi, I'm an English teacher in İzmir and I want to meet Americans because my Turkish is so pathetic that I can't communicate with anyone... Lead me to the ex-pats!"

Well, it turns out that I have to be a member which would require me to pay the 50 lira annual fee AFTER I've submitted an application with the signatures of two current TAA members who are not related to each other or me, and then after I've been interviewed, reviewed and accepted by a different committee that meets monthly. (Yeah, um, no, I'm thinking in my head.)

"How do I get these sponsors' signatures?"

"You can come to the free happy hour this Friday from 6-8."

"How many people will be there?"

"Five or six, probably."

Hmm... I have to teach the subtle difference between "can't" and "don't," so unless my Elementary class is canceled, I unfortunately won't be able to attend. I am, however, very interested in meeting these five or six potentially booze-soaked ex-pats. And they look forward to reviewing my application for approval.

No comments: