Yobanca is Turkish for foreigner. I am one. And I need to meet some more--other than the ones I work with. I had dinner with Sondra and another woman from work tonight and wanted to pull my hair out. My co-worker has been in Turkey for over a year and knows how to speak some Turkish, and yet she insists on speaking English in restaurants when she's ordering, but then complains when she doesn't get the service she wants. Are you kidding me?! It's so disrespectful that I was embarrassed just to be there with her. I mean, at least try.
I emailed the Turkish American Association this morning, asking to be put in contact with other yobancalar in Izmir. ASAP. Maybe post-Kapadokya I can branch out and meet some people. It's so, so difficult to be friends with people simply because there's no one else to speak to. I'm so glad I live with Sondra and not my co-worker.
To Pack or Not To Pack...
Starting Sunday night/Monday morning are four days in Kapadokya. Contents of one backpack:
- half a towel (I cut it in half so as to save space)
- tiny bottles of shampoo and miniature doses of aspirin, melatonin and St. John's Wort in case I have issues sleeping
- the bare minimum of clothing (I accept that I will reek when I arrive in Izmir Friday morning)
- camera with extra battery and recharger
- passport
- Swiss Army Knife
- pens and journal/Turkish words notebook
- Turkish phrasebook
2 comments:
What are you packing that stuff in, an ice cream cone? Why the space limit? I've never heard of someone cutting a towel in half before!
P-shaw. It's called backpacking. You went to Europe. You should know. I'm not going to drag around some stupid wheely bag just so that I can bring everything under the sun.
Post a Comment