Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We've Having A Heatwave

It's December 3rd. Winter has never seemed further away. It's warm. Like, 65 or 70 degrees warm but Izmirliler are bundled up in jackets, vests, ponchos and the like. Possibly to protect them from the mosquitos?

Yes, it's so warm that the mosquitos have come back. Last night there was one in my room. Being highly neurotic, I wake up when a mozzie is buzzing in my ear, even at 4:30a.m. I cannot relax and fall back asleep if I know that I am vulnerable to one of the beasts. So I haul myself from bed, switch on the overhead light and search the room until I find and murder the little fucker. But last night's predator was smarter than the average mozzie. I tried to find it twice between the hours of 4:30 and 6a.m., but to no avail. It eluded me every time I tried to crush it against the wall and then disappeared. I finally gave up looking for it and resigned myself to a bug-bitten future.

My 11:30am reflection proved that in addition to bites on my left wrist and right pinky knuckle, the mosquito had nipped my eyebrow, forehead and bridge of my nose. Have some pity--anywhere but my face.

At about 11a.m. I discovered the little bastard resting contentedly on my curtain. I called Sondra and she killed it on the first try. Too little too late.

No comments: