Thursday, July 24, 2008

CELTA Bootcamp: Day 14

Being a born-and-bred perfectionist is challenging when you are not perfect. My lessons with the new group of students this week have not gone as well as I had hoped. I finally bought some melatonin yesterday to help me sleep, and at about 10:30 last night, I caved and decided to go to bed instead of work on my lesson plan for this afternoon. Consequently, I wasn't as prepared today as I would have liked. Everyone assured me that I did fine, but I felt like I took a swan dive onto a concrete slab.

Last Man Standing
I'm still in the course though... unlike some people... You might have guessed it, though you may not believe it, but another CELTA trainee withdrew from the course. After all this time, the older woman in my group, Katrin, decided that she could not make it another 6 days and dropped out today before lunch. Despite the instructors' encouragement, she decided that she didn't want to complete the course. That puts us at 13--and now only four in my teaching group, since George left last week. The instructors swear that this dropout rate is unprecedented. Normally, they say, maybe one person would withdraw--maybe one. But five?!

My remaining three cohorts and I will be busy covering the gaps in teaching time left by the departure of Katrin and George. Essentially, we end up having extra teaching practice without the stress (or so the theory goes) since it must be unobserved by our instructor. During that time, we are free to experiment with the class--do more fun activities, work on becoming more comfortable with the group, etc.

Anyway, the week is almost over, thank goodness. It's bizarre that the whole course is almost over. I think the first thing I'll do when it's done is have a good long nap.

No comments: