Tuesday, July 8, 2008

CELTA Bootcamp: Day 2

The ass-kicking has commenced. Ok, you know how I said that this couldn't be THAT hard since it's only one month, and school semesters are typically four months... Well, what I didn't think about is that with CELTA, there's no time to adjust. It's like you get herded onto a bus with 17 other people, driven at breakneck speed to the site of a tornado and then dumped at the side of the road while the wind whips around you and you wonder if you're going to lose your mind.

Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad yet, but I can see where it's going. I teach tomorrow and I have most of my lesson on vocabulary hammered out. From observing the first batch of peers get shoved out of the nest like helpless little birds, I know that it takes tons of preparation not to plummet, say "um, er, ok...", go on tangents or forget what I'm supposed to be doing. We'll see how it goes.

Being concise and prepared is especially important to me after this morning's input session. Seamus refused to speak in English to anyone this morning, giving instruction and chit-chat only in Japanese. Figuring how to get the lounge coffee pot going in Japanese was tough, but when he proceeded to give us a 40 minute crashcourse in Japanese, we were floored.

*sigh*

I'm exhausted and it's time for bed but I need to review the reading for tomorrow's input session. There really is no time left in the day... Up at 7:30, get out of the house by 8:15, arrive by 8:30 if traffic isn't too horrendous, prep till 9:30, have your brain crushed till 6, drive home, eat, soon it's 8 and then... I dunno. Whining won't help!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.
Japanese for breakfast.
At least maybe Giles left the annoying dude speechless.
Love you and will be thinking of you tomorrow when you jump out of the nest... Can it be more terrifying than jumping out of an airplane? You already have that one under your belt... maybe there's something transferable about the experience...
Mom

Colleen Schaefgen said...

Jaime,

Sounds like quite an adventure! I am sure that your solo session will be good, and a good learning experience. I always found that my greatest learning came from the things I didn't do perfectly....

A blog is a great vehicle for everyone to keep up with your new career and associated travels. I have a daily gratitude blog that has actually been a joy to post in (and given me more things to be grateful for in the process).

Take care,
Colleen