On my first graded lesson I got an "Above Standard" (there are only 3 grades: standard, above and below)! My lesson went swimmingly (truth: I am glossing over some minor points for improvement, but largely it was fab). I was SO nervous by the time 80 minutes had passed and it was my turn to get to the students. I haven't been so nervous and full of butterflies in AGES but once I got up and started talking, everything went fine.
Flash cards proved to be an absolute lifesaver--I just ticked through my lesson plan and kept track of the time well. I used pretty successful drilling techniques to teach them new words ("souvenir," "tourist" and "to recommend") and then let them loose with an interview sheet that they buzzed around the classroom asking each other questions with. I still need to be more assertive in front of the group.
I got chided for trying to focus attention back on myself after group activities by saying, "People... Excuse me..." Oh whatever. I feel light as a bird! I haven't been so relaxed in ages in weeks. Hopefully I can hang onto this good energy and coast on it for awhile. I have my first 60 minute lesson on Thursday--it's grammar. Fun! Not really--well, no, I have to figure out how to make an entertaining lesson out of "wish" + "past simple" (e.g. I wish I ate more; I wish I cut my hair; I wish I brushed my teeth, etc.).
Dropping Like Flies
Today George told my afternoon teaching group (just the five of us) that he is withdrawing from the course. I don't know if there was some well-placed needling from Up Above, but George seemed to get the idea that this isn't the right course for him. He must have failed his lesson yesterday (when he stuck his gum to the whiteboard) because he mentioned that he would have had to do amazingly from now on--an unlikely possibility given previous behavior--since we are only allowed to fail two lessons. I guess the pressure was too much...
I feel bad for the guy, but I am also relieved. He apparently still gets his tuition back (about $2100) except for a $400 deposit.
Because George is gone, we now have a time slot open in our afternoon teaching practice. It's actually an added benefit because we will rotate filling up 20 or 30 minute blocks of time with lessons that are *ungraded and can be about anything*. Yay! No pressure! I have another one tomorrow but I think it should go smoothly since it utilizes the material I didn't get to in my lesson this afternoon.
On the Job Front
This morning I had my first meeting with Bridge Linguatec's job placement adviser. I need to rearrange my resume and scratch some info, but the woman has already started looking for job posts for me. She thinks that I will be able to find a job in Turkey around the beginning of September, even though it's less than 8 weeks away (holy crap! I can't imagine being over there so soon! SO exciting!). Also, my good friend Issac has been traveling around Europe this summer with his family. He has somehow met two folks who are starting a language school in Turkey and are currently recruiting staff... So I'll contact them and we'll see what happens.
Life feels awfully fabulous tonight.
*cheers*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Congratulations...
I'm sure this was just the first of many "Above Standard" grades.
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment