I'm taking a break from a killer lesson plan. I'm trying to figure out how to teach the grammatical construction: "wish + past simple" (i.e. I wish I had a bigger house; Jake wishes he were young and handsome; etc.). It's so easy to just type it there but it's another to figure out how the heck to explain it to a bunch of foreign folks who look at me like, "What ARE you talking about?!?! He wish he go to store? They wishes we been shopping?" The room for error is endless and terrifying.
It's a harrowing experience getting up in front of the classroom. Depending on the number of students (up to 16 today!), there can be upwards of 36 eyes watching you, scrutinizing every action, noting wardobe malfunctions, listening to your tone of voice, the clarity of your directions, the efficacy of your planning.
It's my first grammar lesson and it's 60 minutes. I am so freaking exhausted and all I want to do is go to bed but that's not looking hopeful for awhile yet. If I can just make it until tomorrow at 3:30pm, I will have effectively survived the week. It's been rough because, since George dropped out and we rotate in for his lesson slots, I will have taught for three days straight. The lesson planning is the murderous part, and since I am so obsessive, it's even harder for me to be efficient with my time. The moon is also full, mind you, so the lunacy is setting in.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make legitimate worksheets that will test knowledge. And heaven knows that I might not fill up all of my time. Doing well on my first graded lesson has placed a lot of pressure on me to continue with my other lessons. Whatever happens, I won't fail, but my pride could be damaged and we know how horrible that would be.
We're Not in Kansas Anymore...
One challenging aspect of teaching is the sheer lack of technology. Even in Denver, CO, I am beginning to be confronted by the reality of limited resources. Popping out of L&C with its luxuriously-equipped classrooms (VHS, DVD, projection screens, sound, color, the Internet--wireless no less, computers, Power Point, special lights that dim, tiered seating in EVERY ROOM), I have been rudely confronted by my sole technological friend in the classroom: the overhead projector. Boxy and awkward, the overhead projector is the last bastion of hope at Bridge Linguatec.
Seamus McSporran reminds us daily that "back when he started teaching English," (eons ago) he didn't even have a dear old overhead projector. Nope. He had to write everything on carbon copy sheets--and walk uphill in the snow both ways. Ok, I get it. Carbon copy sheets evoke a horror only rivaled by mention of the Eight Track, but it's still hard to come to grips with being dumped out of the lap of luxury. And then where will I end up teaching?
I guess I could always set up a AA battery flashlight and try to make the transparencies work shadow-puppet style... Or hell, just do the whole lesson with shadow-puppets.
J wish she have new technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment