Job Abroad Info
We had an exciting meeting this morning about job placement abroad. Apparently, Bridge Linguatec has contacts in some countries. Depending on the situation, they can act like agents peddling our resumes. Turkey is one such country and it sounds like I will be able to get something good over there. I have a meeting scheduled for Tuesday to speak with the Bridge job placement advisor. Interesting facts I learned:
- Moscow is the most expensive city to live in worldwide.
- South Korea is hurting for English teachers and is willing to pay some of them for airfare there.
- Most of Southeast Asia is apparently ageist (and racist) so older folks thinking of teaching English as a foreign language are more accepted in Central and South America.
We discovered that one of our cohorts has withdrawn from the course. It was not George, who I've mentioned before, but an older man who has not been in my smaller group for teaching observations. Apparently this guy taught two lessons and did not feel like he could integrate the feedback for improvement into his teaching. So he spoke with the CELTA trainers and they made a "mutual decision" that it would be best for him to leave. I suppose that he gets a partial refund, but I'm really not sure how it all works.
Teaching Practice
I felt very confident about teaching my second lesson on Friday afternoon, but it was less than fabulous in its execution. My lesson planning is good, according to my trainer. The rubric for feedback did not request me to improve anything on my planning. However, my activities were waaay too easy for the students to complete, and so they ripped through it and left me with about 8 minutes at the end of the lesson with nothing planned. I was able to stall them for a few minutes but finally the train ran out of track and I just had to call it quits.
It was a turn around from Wednesday when I had too many activities for them to complete. I've been converted to believing that it's better to have too much material than to underestimate them and be left looking flustered in front of the classroom.
Room for Improvement
I still need to improve on my classroom demeanor. CELTA wants us to ask Instruction Checking Questions (ICQs) and Concept Checking Questions (CCQs) in a very certain way. If I explain something, I cannot just ask, "Do you understand?" because most of them won't admit it, or they'll think they understand but they don't. Rather, we have to replace the "Do you understand?"/"Is everything ok?" habit with questions like, "How long do you have to work on this?", "Can you work with a partner?", "What specific information are you reading/listening for?", etc.
This is by far the biggest obstacle I've encountered so far. The lesson planning I can do, but retraining myself to speak differently is going to take some work. But "Do you understand?" is slowly being beaten out of us with the big stick of Failure Fear.
Next week we will be graded for our lesson plans and teaching efforts. I have one more 40 minute lesson with my Intermediate group, and then on Thursday my first 60 minute lesson. I'm nervous... Good thing I have the weekend to get myself together.
3 comments:
Hi, Honey.
I'm wondering if the man who withdrew is already a teacher. Sometimes, people who already know a lot about something have a hard time "unlearning."
I remember when I was teaching 3rd grade, in what now seems like prehistoric times... I hardly ever got through what I planned for the day, but came to the same conclusion you've reached -- that it's much better to have more than you can convey than not enough to keep the ankle-biters busy. With Feldenkrais teaching, though, I often find myself having to resist trying to cram in "just one more thing" before they all run for the ferry!
As in most things in life, timing and pacing are just about everything. I'm sure you won't try to stuff too much into the session again, OR run of out of stuff to do. Just remember that if you weren't making any mistakes, you wouldn't have needed to take the course!
I think the ICQs they want you to ask are brilliant! They
+ force the students to speak,
+ give others a chance to deal with the accents,
+ let you know exactly what they did or didn't get,
+ help you to focus on what's really important in the directions, and
+ give you another activity -- finding out how great their comprehension is!
I'm sure that you'll be tossing them off with abandon by the end of next week!
Love,
Mom
Jaime, hang in there. It WILL get easier and you will get a lot better quickly. It sounds like you are really open to feedback as it is intended: to help you be more effective. That is the key to continuous improvement.
Take care, and create a great week!
Colleen
Hey hon,
Thanks for sending me the link to your blog. Consider yourself bookmarked. If i ever start blogging again, can I throw your link up on my page?
I look forward to hearing about how things are going for you in Denver! Portland misses you. Hang in there, you're doing such a great thing.
Much Love,
Liz
Post a Comment